File Backup & Restore on Servers
Your data is safe when stored on CLA servers. We operate an industry-strength backup system housed separately from production servers and stored in a secure facility. Deleted files accidentally? We can get you back up and running in minutes.
University faculty, staff, and graduate students storing files on of CLA-hosted Unix and Windows servers
What We Do
- Provide daily backups as our standard offering.
- Retain data for 3 months as specified by our retention schedule:
||Changes since the last full backup
||Changes since the last backup of any kind
- Consult with you to determine custom backup frequencies and retention periods, if needed.
- Restore files upon request.
What We Don't Do
- Backup data not stored on a CLA-hosted server.
- Maintain more than three copies of full backups.
What You Need to Do
- Contact us immediately when you need a restore since backups may expire.
- Contact us through the Service Desk for restore requests.
- specify the full path name for the file(s) you need restored
- specify the approximate time frame if you need something different than the most recent backup available—usually the previous evening
- Coordinate with us when planning large-scale reorganization of your data to avoid adverse effects on backup performance.
- Consider asking us to exclude "scratch" data from backups, if you have large amounts, to decrease the backup load.
24 hours a day, 7 days a week
Standard Support Hours
Monday–Friday, 8:00 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
Also by appointment.
Response to request within 8 business hours.
- Files created or modified within the last 2 weeks take only a few minutes to restore once your request is picked up by an engineer.
- Restore requests for older files will be fulfilled within 8 business hours.
CLA Service Desk
Call: 612-624-4357 (4-HELP)